Europe's First Sustainable Hotel
When designing the Iveagh Garden Hotel, we set out to create the lowest carbon footprint possible when compared to any hotel in Europe. Along the way standards were raised, new methods were developed, and energy performance was interlinked with consumption in order to take renewable energy and low carbon design to a whole new level.
On-site power is generated via a Combined Heat & Power (CHP) Plant. This Power is utilised by the Heat Pumps and generally throughout the Hotel.
The by-product of the Power Generation in the CHP is 125kW of Waste Heat from the Engine and a further 15kW collected from the Flue Gases, giving a total of 150kW of High Temperature Water (75°C) which is stored and utilised for the Hotel's Hot Water and electrical requirements.
In designing the hotel, the McGill family felt strongly that the property should deliver an exceptional guest experience, while limiting the hotel’s carbon footprint. Partnering with renewable energy company Eurotech and Glenn Nunan Consulting Engineers, the hotel embarked on a significant investment during the hotel’s construction to realise this vision. “We are delighted with the results thus far” John Pardy, General Manager. “With a global movement towards the adaptation of Green technology in business, the reaction from both our corporate customers and hotel guests has been overwhelmingly positive.”
When compared to the conventional system utilised by the property’s previous use as an office block, the installation of this custom-built renewable energy system by the Iveagh Garden Hotel, has yielded the following results within its first 6 months of operation.
• An increase in the Building Energy Rating (BER) from E1 to A3
• A decrease in energy usage of 78.03%
• A decrease in CO2 emissions of 81.86%
Our core technological activities
· Existing plumbing and heating systems that ran on fossil fuel were removed to make way for a revolutionary system which uses natural energy harvested on site.
· A renewable hydro source meters below the hotel acts an as energy reserve for cooling + heating hotel without burning fuel.
· Our natural energy plant room uses electricity produced on site in a gas turbine that eliminate electrical energy loss from grid power.
· The onsite gas turbine also produces hot water for hotel use which is stored on each floor close to en-suites and bathrooms.
· Waste water operates gravity with no pumping energy required
· Harmful pollution is eliminated, and heating/cooling systems swap energy between areas that required higher or lower temperatures.
· LED low power lighting is in use throughout the hotel inside and outside, there are no standard bulbs to waste power, and smart control prevents lighting unoccupied areas.
· Traditional power lifts removed are replaced by smart low energy lift systems to carry you to each floor.
· Catering kitchens provides energy to the building in our instant energy exchange system, traditionally blown away to outside
For more information on the technology used, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org